We are always looking for singers! If you can sing, enjoy our music and would like to join the choir, we hold several auditions throughout the year.
Important Information for Those Considering Auditioning:
We rehearse from September to June on Monday nights, 7:15 – 9:30. The vast majority of our rehearsals are at St. Andrews Wesley in downtown Vancouver. Choir members are not required to read music (although it’s helpful if you do). Choir members are expected to do some rehearsal on their own between choir rehearsals to ensure you know your parts in the repertoire. To help with this, the MMC has a members’ only section on the website that includes lyrics, full scores and MP3’s of the various parts for most of the songs in our repertoire.
Our “concert attire” for performances generally consists of black clothing from your own wardrobe, and a coloured item (shrug, bowtie, pocket square) provided by the choir.
Members pay $225 in dues for each of the two semesters that make up our calendar year (Sept – December and January to May/June). These funds help cover the cost of rehearsal venue rental, an honorarium for our directors, and marketing costs for our shows.
Choir members are asked to commit to the following:
- To attend all rehearsals, for the full rehearsal (except due to illness or if you are on vacation).
- To attend our four main concerts per year. A schedule will be provided at the beginning of the season.
- To rehearse/learn your part in between group rehearsals.
- To make every effort to attend sectionals (these are mini rehearsals for sopranos, altos or men).
- To attend our two retreats per year (retreats are late October/early November and March).
- To be attentive and respectful during rehearsals.
All interested singers must audition. This is a one-time requirement: we do not ask members to re-audition each year. The chorale tends to sing in three to five parts as follows: Soprano (sometimes divided into one and two); alto; men (sometimes divided into tenor and bass).
During the audition you will be asked to sing scales to determine range, to sing part of a song of your choice (please bring your sheet music with you for the pianist), and to harmonize with a well-known song. You may also be asked to match pitches sung by one of our Directors. You will be informed by email of the results of your audition a few days’ later.
Auditions can be scary but the Directors are kind, understanding and compassionate. They work hard at ensuring auditions are as friendly as possible for you. We do find auditions to be important to help the directors know you better.
To get on the list for the next audition, please:
- Review the information listed below, including preparation for the audition;
- Complete an audition application form online and submit
- Send any questions you might have to our auditions coordinator, Elizabeth Reilly using the contact form below on this page
All submissions will receive a response back.
Thank you for your interest!